The first Anglican Church service in Petersham was held on 15 April 1860 in a tiny schoolroom. Despite the small population of Petersham at the time, it was resolved to build a building for church and to educate children. A small school was built which served a church, Sunday School, parish hall and Day School.
The Story of the Church of England in Petersham is told in a booklet – The First Hundred years – The Story of the Church of England in Petersham 1860 – 1960
In 1870, the parish resolved to build a bigger church. The foundation stone of All Saints’ was set on Saturday 17 December 1870, with the site being bequeathed to the Church by the late Mrs. Priddle, sister of Dr. Wardell, an early settler in Petersham.
Nearly a year elapsed before the eastern end of the building was finished. The opening service was held on All Saints’ Day, Wednesday 1 November 1871. The cost of the church was £1927.
The western end of the building was commenced in 1879 and completed in 1880. The re-opening service was held on 11 September 1880.
The church Vestry was built in 1886 in memory of the infant son of Mr. A. E. Jaques. In the same year, a pipe organ build by A. Hunter & Sons of Clapham, England was installed at a cost of £750 pounds. The organ was converted from a water motor to an electric motor in 1911.
By 1903 the debt had been cleared and the Bishop of Newcastle, Rt. Revd Dr Stanton consecrated the Church on Saturday 15th August 1903. In 1904 Booklet – A Brief History of All Saints’ Church was written.
On 24 October 1968, the National Trust of New South Wales included the church building in the Trust’s register of Historic Buildings.
A memorial stone was laid by the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Roden Cutler on 1 November 1970 to commemorate 100 years of service to Petersham.
The Story of All Saint’s from the building of the present day church building is told in the booklet All Saint’s Church of England Petersham 1870 – 1970